Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Appealing to the Masses: the Fidelity/Publicity Struggle

Influenza strains, particle physics, under-funded scientific ventures, contagious ferrets, and stasis theory crowd my mind, and I need to write something along the lines of science accommodation.  Okay, I can do this.  But really, what about that H5N1 virus locked away in a vault?  Is that the sort of science that should not be widely publicized, for the sake of keeping potentially dangerous knowledge from the bioweapon-extremists?  But I diverge….

          Considering science accommodation, my initial thought is: does the science writer accommodate the science, or the public?  If accommodating is “fitting in with the wishes or needs of” (thanks, Merriam W), then it seems by Fahnestock’s analysis that the crossover from original science texts to articles for public consumption prioritizes the wishes of the community audience to comprehend, greater than it keeps fidelity to the original text.  Is this a bad approach?  I don’t think so.

Journalists know it’s poor practice to cite another journalist’s article.  Source material should be just that—from the original source.  Therefore, science writers’ reins are loosened and they are allowed more freedom for interpretation, on account of their work not being the pinnacle piece from which all others will stem.  Their purpose is to inform their audience, the general public, not to create a piece which the multitudes will cite.  In reading, we appreciate a balanced piece, compelling facts, and a semblance of closure.  The science writer has a difficult job then, to take a research paper which is highly-specialized, full of phrases such as , “our tests suggest” and “it is probable,” and without a clear-cut conclusion, and turn it into a well-balanced meal that the public can sit down and enjoy, all the while not greatly compromising truthfulness to the original text.  Now, onto stasis theory.  If we, as readers, look for these elements in a piece: “…to be convinced that a situation exists…what caused it…whether the situation is good or bad, and what should be done about it and by whom,” (Fahnestock, 290) then what is the journalist to do when the research does not lend itself to such clean argumentative rhetoric?  Poet’s license, it seems.  Perhaps the science writer sees the implicative questions, partial conclusions, and conjectures where the scientist’s caution and accountability to a higher audience (i.e., nature, rather than the public) prevented.  While I am not calling for gross misappropriations of research, I do believe that an element of accommodating the public is presenting a digestible article.   This includes, perhaps, the tangents of which the human mind is so fond.  Tangents and conjecture spur thought, which is the point of the article, no?  In the end, science writers create in a different genre than research writers, and are given license by that.


So, the challenge: how does one woo the public without cheating on the scientist?  Can faithfulness be maintained, as the science writer walks the fine line between providing intrigue for the masses without making enemies of scientists?  Saved by the bell; it’s the deadline to post.  We will talk more on this later, I’m sure.  



3 comments:

  1. “How does one woo the public without cheating on the scientist?” Awesome metaphor—it captures the nature of the situation exactly! And I think our discussion in class today really shed some light on the subject. Although you state earlier in your blog that the purpose of science journalists is “to inform their audience,” we might be safe to say that the purpose of science journalists is *both* to inform *and* to entertain their audience. This very idea is inherent in “woo”—your own choice of wording, even. (Haha, keep tracking with me, and I’ll explain!).

    When a man woos a woman, he basically seeks her favor, right? Well, how does he earn her favor? By delighting her (causing her to fall in love with him)! When we are entertained by something, we are also “delighted” in a way. Or, to put it another way: when we are entertained, we are “amused,” “diverted,” “interested,” and even “distracted.” Does this not also describe a person being wooed (hopefully, for the sake of the wooer, lol)? Your metaphor of the science journalist “wooing” the public is so perfect!

    This is something else to consider as well: “accommodate” is also a synonym for “entertain.” Though this nuance/definition is not what we were discussing in class, it certainly has some interesting implications. Is it just coincidence that Fahnestock refers to science journalists as “accommodators”? Due to its connection to “entertain,” perhaps we could view “accommodate” as a play on words, referring to the science writer’s need to compose something both “amusingly interesting” and “comprehensively informative.”

    So I didn’t even attempt to answer your question; you had me hooked just on the wording of it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took Fahnestock's article pretty seriously, and I was kind of disappointed that it's just a thing now to ditch the reality of the science and write what's going to sell some magazines. I think, especially after our class discussion on Thursday, that there are mechanisms to use in order to make the story relevant, enjoyable, and also true to the science. Metaphor is the one we talked about, and I'm excited to explore how metaphor can serve as an important tool for science writers when it comes to being honest and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured I would branch out and comment on other peoples stuff. So, get ready for my disjunct and contractive thought processes. I like what you have to say. Its interesting and for the most part I agree with you. I hate and love the reader. I mean there would be no jobs in writing if they did not exist so there is that, but do you ever feel like they want unreasonable things? I have this internal struggle with this subject. This is the first class I have ever taken that leans towards journalism. Otherwise I have taken philosophy and science class so this kind of writing is new to me. This whole idea of distilling things down for the public is supper frustrating. I have this nagging though deep down that we must only stay true to the science. I do however recognize, in me, the enjoyment science writing that is distilled down. " I do believe that an element of accommodating the public is presenting a digestible article. This includes, perhaps, the tangents of which the human mind is so fond." I really like that because it takes a look at science writing in a way that I have so far been unable to. I not very accommodating. So maybe that is why I never though of it that way. This idea of tangents is great . A good scientist cannot explore the fiction of their science but we as science writes have that license. We can conjecture and that is a fun license to have if you can use it well.

    ReplyDelete